Last Update: June 1, 2023
In 2022, The Town Waitsfield, Planning Commission and Water Commission undertook a “Wastewater and Water Feasibility Study” to explore options for infrastructure improvements, wastewater solutions and potential expansion of water service for Irasville and Waitsfield Villages. The project was overseen by a Water and Wastewater Feasibility Study Committee (WWFSC) made up of members from the Selectboard, Planning Commission, and Water Commission.
This study was fully funded by State ARPA funds through The Agency of Natural Resources (ANR), Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) through the Clean Water Revolving Loan Program. The Town received full funding for the study and there is no cost to the Waitsfield taxpayers for the feasibility study.
Through an RFQ selection process led by the WWFSC, the Town hired engineering consultants DuBois & King, Inc. to evaluate potential centralized and decentralized waste water solutions in the town's identified growth areas and analyze options for extending our current public water service. The final product from DuBois and King (D&K) was a Water and Wastewater Feasibility Study Report that compiled all findings and summarized scenarios and recommended solutions to both of these questions.
The 60% Report from Dubois & King was finalized on September 26, 2022 and the 90% report was presented to the Selectboard on December 5, 2022 (the potential site locations identified in this Feasibility Study have been selected based on scientific and engineering analysis, no owners have been contacted, no onsite testing has been performed - these are preliminary locations identified for the purposes of this feasibility study). Links to all documents can be found below.
On December 5, 2022, the Selectboard decided to proceed with further study of Scenario 5B (explore the development of the Munn Site for treatment and disposal as well as another site for treatment and disposal in the north) and Scenario 2 (explore opportunities for connecting remaining properties with private wells in the Irasville and Waitsfield Village Districts to the water system). The Feasibility Study served as the basis for the Preliminary Engineering Report which will explore these two scenarios and more detail. The Town entered into an additional Engineering Services Agreement for in January 2023 (more detail can be found here).
- Waste Water & Water Feasibility Study Story Map (prepared by Dubois & King)
- Waste Water & Water Feasibility Study Info Sheet
- Dubois & King Scope of Work
- Feasibility Analysis Study Area
- 60% Report from Dubois & King (9/26/22)
- 60% Report Presentation to Selectboard (10/10/22)
- 90% Report from Dubois & King (11/27/22)
- 90% Report Presentation to Selectboard(12/5/22)
- October 26, 2022 - Community Meeting @ the Waitsfield Meeting House (United Church of Christ)
- Dubois & King and the Wastewater and Water Committee provided an update on the Wastewater and Water Feasibility Study including a review of the findings included in the 60% Report and an outline of next steps.
- The meeting recording can be found here.
- Presentation slides can be found here.
Why do a Waste Water and Water Infrastructure/Feasibility Study?
- As a way to address the need for housing. Access to utility infrastructure is an important step in addressing affordable housing development
- More robust wastewater infrastructure can open the door for “infill” development opportunities in Irasville and new development in identified “growth areas” in Town
- To address old and failing waste water systems
- To protect and promote clean water (a Department of Environmental Conservation focus)
- Preservation of our existing wetlands and habitats
- To promote a clean Mad River
- To provide Town services for a future healthy, sustainable, and resilient Waitsfield
The Water and Wastewater Feasibility Study Committee
- Alice Peal, Chair (Planning Commission)
- Bob Cook (Planning Commission)
- Robin Morris (Water Commission)
- Chach Curtis (Selectboard)
- Brian Voigt (Planning Commission)
- AnnMarie Harmon (Planning Commission)
Agendas and meeting minutes can be found here.
Please contact us with any questions or comments you have about the project.
- Annie Decker-Dell’Isola, Town Administrator
- email: [email protected]
- phone: 802-496-2218 ext. 5