The Waitsfield Selectboard is responsible for the general supervision of the affairs of the town and "shall cause to be performed all duties required of the town not committed by law to the care of any particular officer." 24 V.S.A. § 872 More specifically, the Selectboard is charged with the following duties:
- May enact ordinances and rules regulating land use and nuisances;
- Warns all annual Town meetings and specifies the business to be conducted at the meeting, including proposing an annual budget;
- Sets the tax rate to raise the specific amount of funds voted at the Annual Town Meeting;
- Hires, fires, and directs almost all Town employees, sets salaries if voters do not do so at town meeting, and establishes and enforces personnel policies;
- Authorizes all Town expenditures by signing orders for the Treasurer to draw Town funds;.
- Is responsible for laying out, classifying, and discontinuing Town roads;
- Is responsible for all animal control;
- Is authorized to borrow money for periods of less than a year in anticipation of taxes;
- Fills all Town vacancies until an election is held;
- Appoints many Town Officer positions, such as Fence Viewers, Inspector of Lumber, Tree Warden, and others;
- Appoints and removes planning commissioners, unless the town has voted to elect them;
- Serves as ex-officio planning commission members in "rural towns." 24 V.S.A. § 4322. (A "rural town" is a town with a population of less than 2,500 or a town with a population of at least 2,500 but less than 5,000 which has voted by Australian ballot to be considered a rural town. 24 V.S.A. § 4303(10).);
- Adopts the town plan unless the town votes to adopt it by Australian ballot (24 V.S.A. § 4385);
- Regulates and issues certificates for junkyards. 24 V.S.A. §§ 2241–2242;
- Purchases all insurance for the Town;
- Requires certain town officers to obtain a bond and sets the amount necessary. 24 V.S.A. § 832;
- Members serve as members of the Board of Civil Authority; and
- Has other miscellaneous regulatory powers.
Members and Terms
|Members||Term Yrs||Term Expires|
|Christine Sullivan (Chair)||2||Mar. 2023|
|Brian Shupe (Vice Chair)||3||Mar. 2023|
|Chach Curtis||2*||Mar. 2022*|
|Fred Messer||3||Mar. 2023|
|Jordan Gonda||3**||Mar. 2022**|
*The term served is the remainder of a two-year term that expires in March 2022.
**The term served is the remainder of a three-year term that expires in March 2022
State Statute: Either three or five selectpersons serve overlapping terms of between one and three years. One of three is elected to a three-year term each year. 17 V.S.A. § 2646(4). A town may vote to add two more selectpersons (for a total of five), each serving one- or two-year terms. 17 V.S.A. § 2650.
The Selectboard's regular meetings are generally held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month, at the Waitsfield Town Office (4144 Main Street), and start at 6:30 p.m. Please check the meeting schedule to confirm dates and times; the Board may change or add dates and times as needed.
Questions for the Selectboard may be directed to Town Administrator Trevor M. Lashua.
Interested in watching Waitsfield Selectboard meeting videos from MRVTV? Click here.